MSU Denver Student Media received 16 awards, including eight first-place honors, in the Region 9 Society of Professional Journalists Mark of Excellence competition. The awards for outstanding student journalism were announced April 13 at the regional conference in Santa Fe, N.M. SPJ Region 9 includes Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming.
The Metropolitan student newspaper received first place in the Best All-Around Non Daily Newspaper category for large schools. Judges said the newspaper “reflects diverse campus interests,” and is “thoughtful” and “well-crafted.” Professionals with at least three years of journalism experience serve as SPJ judges, according to an SPJ press release.
First-place winners from all 12 SPJ regions will advance to the national competition. They will be notified in late spring of their standings, and recognized August 24-26 at the Excellence in Journalism conference in Anaheim, Calif.
- Best All-Around Non Daily Student Newspaper, The Metropolitan
- Editorial Cartooning, Jorge Perez Garcia, The Metropolitan, “Polly the Bird“
- Feature Photography, Melanie J. Rice, The Metropolitan, “Tivoli goes wild with Jack Hanna“
- Online Opinion and Commentary, Joe Deras, The Metropolitan, “The Laughing Heart“
- Radio Sports Reporting, Justin Taylor, KMet Radio, “The Coach Clark Show”
- Sports Column Writing, Angelita Foster, Paul J. Marcely and Nick Ohlig, The Metropolitan
- Television In-Depth Reporting, Simone DeAlba, The Met Report, “Needle Exchange: helpful or harmful?“
- Television Sports Photography, Kevin Hall and Kellan Stone, The Met Report, “Metro buries Mines“
- Best All-Around Television Newscast, The Met Report
- Breaking News Photography, Ryan Borthick, The Metropolitan, “Hope after tragedy“
- Feature Photography, Jessica Cuneo and Melanie J. Rice, The Metropolitan, “Day of the Dead takes on many faces“
- Television Feature Photography, The Met Report, “Zombies invade downtown“
- Breaking News Photography, Melanie J. Rice, The Metropolitan, “Candlelight vigil brings tragedy-stricken community together“
- Feature Photography, Melanie J. Rice, The Metropolitan, “Hair heats up the state at Eugenia Rawls Courtyard Theater“
- General News Photography, Brian T. McGinn, The Metropolitan, “Denver debate kicks off election home stretch“
- Sports Photography, Jessica Cuneo, The Metropolitan, “Women’s soccer sweeps Labor Day games“